Click here to go back to the main page
This is not my complete resume, it is just the public copy:
Nick is an business analyst with over 21 years of continuous experience in Information Systems, with a solid understanding of the role applications play in an organization. Experience includes scale-able and complex projects, in addition to systems operations, networking, forensics/information security, and all types of software development. Nick's focus has always been to automate and document all aspects of a business.
Highlights of Experience
- Detailed management of integration projects between different complex systems, including software architecture.
- Deep understanding of network programming; especially useful in forensic analysis, intrusion detection, firewall configuration and anomaly detection.
- Complicated shell scripting cross platforms.
- Seasoned IT Security Administrator with extensive experience in IT Security defenses and experience in various technologies and with success implementing Security Infrastructures and solutions. Security awareness trainer.
- Disaster Recovery planning and testing.
- Significant experience with Unix, specifically OpenBSD and Linux.
- Experience with many different database platforms including MSSQL, PostGreSQL, SQLite, MySQL.
- QA manual and automated testing using many tools (Junit, Test Complete, BDD, Database Snapshots, expect, curl, postman) Worked on the test infrastructure, and built own tools.
- Patient interface to Mediplan - Patients could view their unmasked health information as well as book appointment and communicate with physicians.
- Support Management System - Not only was I responsible for writing, implementation as well as monitoring the use of our ticketing and client information system, but I was the one who came up with this project and sold management on it. This system integrates into many internal systems as well as external systems including firewalls, Alberta Health Services and our invoicing system.
- Electronic Fax - The EMR required the ability to send and receive faxes directly from the interface, automatically passing phone numbers in both directions to allow more secure faxing between doctors offices. This interface was build as a team, with myself managing the programmers and testers as well as doing much of the programming myself for the integration.
- Patient callback system - Allows clients to make automatic reminder calls to their patients on the phone as well as text/email messages. This system integrated into their EMR.
- Reverse engineering of various systems including DNS back-end, Databases, etc for integration into client systems.
- Built interfaces between VOIP systems and billing as well as call integration into CRM type applications.
- Created SSML and VOXML applications for phone systems to interact with users through the phone.
- Many small databases and interfaces were built for managing staff, clients and transferring files.
Manager, Corp IT
April 2019 - Present
Managed 2 small teams (8 Full Time people) including Help Desk and Corporate IT across 3 offices.
Implemented checklist processes for many operations
Responsible for all Employee facing systems/services/software
Managed a team and the processes to enable all 500+ employees working remotely from home to continue operations due to a pandemic
Plan, get corporate buy-in and promote new technologies to support both our staff and client
Foster communication between teams on cross team projects
Collecting useful metrics to share
Senior QA Analyst
August 2018 - April 2019
- Continued some IT/Mediplan Duties
- Worked through old code to determine how it works, and how to write tests for it
- Wrote Liquibase changelogs for a complex structure including over 900 tables.
- Wrote Service tests in JUnit for Accuro
- Reviewed code for other developers writing tests
- Helped the Team Lead; onboarding and training other staff
- Came up with some of the infrastructure for the service tests
- Test Complete testing of a GUI application
- Looked after the Calgary office and organize Calgary Events
Dev Ops Lead
July 2017 - August 2018
- Development Lead for CloudSync (internal system for transfering files
and forwarding other applications in and out of the cloud)
- Leading developers and Support personal
- Programming Development / System Design and API documentation
- Evaluating Technology Solutions / Providing recommendations
- Project management
- Disaster Recovery
- OpenBSD and Linux administration
- Managing cloud resources
- Virtual Fax server API and administration
Architecture / Product management / Managing Partner
June 2001 - July 2017
Responsible for many areas of Telin including:
- Management of all staff except sales
- Owning the managment of our customer facing services and applications
- Budgeting and human resource management
- building relationships with clients
- IT Services Management
- Software Architecture
- Application code reviews to find gaps in compliance and best practices
- Manual testing of applications as well as some, but limited automated testing
- Automated tested of preformance, including web services and limited desktop application
- Development and Supervising other Developers, including outsourced projects
- Evaluating Technology Solutions / Providing recommendations
- Project management
- Disaster Recovery planning
- Policy / procedures management
- Information security awareness training for both in house and our clients
- Implementing Cloud Based Services (Migration to the cloud)
- Information security reviews and risk management
- 3rd tier technical support
- Network, Firewall and VPN administrator (OpenBSD and Fortigate)
- VOIP phone administrator
Global edge and wireless
As the Information Security Officer i was responsible for policies, procedures,
firewalls and some system administration and programming.
At Geoinformatics i was a part time programmer and a full time sys admin
- Superstore stock boy in produce (2 years) started May 16, 1998
- Technical support at multiple companies
- Calgary Food Bank
- Iron Horse Park, previously Secretary, previously intern Treasurer, I work
weekly on many aspects of the park, including but not limited
to: Track/buildings/locomotives maintenance. http://www.ironhorsepark.net
- High Altitude Balloon Launches with schools and individuals.
- Guns of the Golden West as an old western actor.
- Emergency Radio Operator (licenced)
- Science Alberta Foundation Calgary office,
ph. (403) 260-1945, helping out with office and computer duties.
I volunteered for the summer starting on June 30, 1998
UBC Sauder School of Business - Executive Education
- Collaborating with remote teams
- Managing Customer Expectations
- Managing Virtual Meetings
- Agile Leadership Strategies and Techniques
Bachelor's Degree, Information Systems
2002 - 2005
I worked remotely on my degree while working full time
I completed a project course on encryption which gave me a focus of
Information Security during my studies.
1997 - 2000 Henry Wise Wood High School
Graduated with Honors and got a scholarship.
Technical Analyst at SaskTel
Michael worked with Nicholas at Telin Systems LTD
Nicholas is exceptionally brilliant. It was a pleasure to work with
someone so versed in IT, and very rare to find someone with such
knowledge and passion for technology.
IT Consultant at FracKnowledge
Ian worked directly with Nicholas at Telin Systems LTD
Nick's skills were very evident when I worked with him. While working
with Nick at Telin he always kept the securities issues current and
relevant. As the Information Security officer for Telin, he was very
organized and proactive. Nick's scientific hobbies and general technical
interests would be a benefit to any business.
IT/Systems Admin, currently looking for new opportunities
Arash worked indirectly for Nicholas at Telin Systems LTD
He is one of sharpest IT specialists I have ever worked with. I have had
the pleasure of working with him for over 4 years. He gets the job done,
even if he has to create the solution from the scratch. He is very good
at thinking outside of the box, and leads the way. He is an OpenBSD guru,
and he has applied the toolbox philosophy of Unix to a very wide range of
IT problems. He has strong hardware/software skills, and I have seen him
integrate a wide range of software/hardware components to create a
solution. His IT interests are numerous, ranging from real time data
acquisitions to specialized medical systems. Sometimes it becomes a
challenge to followup what he is doing, as he is a fast thinker, and
amazing multi-tasker. In personal life he is into a number of interesting
activities, from piloting light airplanes to amateur radio to photography.
In more than one occasion, I have put my life in his hands by flying in
his airplane. If you are looking for a Unix guru with can-do attitude, he
is your guy!